For the purpose of this discussion, I am assuming that you need a charger because it is lost or broken and that you’re looking for a new replacecment. Before you begin your search, you should know the following:
- The make and model of your laptop
- Voltage and amperage of what the charger should be. The specification is usually printed on the same label as the serial # located on the bottom of the laptop or underneath the battery.
- It’s important to stay with a charger that is made specifically for your laptop. A universal charger is not recommanded because of the added weight and bulk at the tip will likely break the DC jack.
- The fitting of the plug should be snog but not overly tight.
- Lastly, the weight of the charger should not be significantly lighter than your original charger. Cheap chargers can cause electrical surges to the laptop.